Sean Dreyer

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

Sean Dreyer

Postby sirseand on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi All.
Sean here from Christchurch.

I stumbled upon this site during a desperate search for help. As it turned out, I still need the help but this has been a very nostalgic journey so far. It seems like an eternity ago that I got my grubby hands onto a Commodore 64. I was at the time wanting a Sinclair ZX like a mate of mine had, however funds being what they were the commodore fell into my hands when it’s original owner gave up on “That computer thing”. It is truly amazing how things have progressed though I don’t think I got as nearly a good “Buzz” with my new Laptop as I did with that first piece of plastic enclosed magic.

As for the help I need, I will look for the appropriate forum and do it there.
sirseand

Re: Sean Dreyer

Postby Matt on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:22 am

Welcome Sean.

funds being what they were the commodore fell into my hands

I have the exact same thing. Want an apple but you can pick up the commodores for next to nothing. People here have pointed out that the apples are way easier to work on though and there is an awesome worldwide community dedicated to keeping the apple2 platform alive and working so I'll be curious to see how c64 vs apple//e stacks up again in another 20-30 yrs for availability, price etc.
Matt

Postby Gibsaw on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:49 am

Welcome to the forums, Sean.

The C64 had a lot going for it. Did you end up doing a lot with the C64 at the time?
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby tezza on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:37 am

Welcome Sean.

There are a few C-64 enthusiasts on the forums. It was a classic computer.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby sirseand on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:54 am

Thanks for the welcomes.
To be honest I got the C64 just after my military service, (bad old days of conscription in SA) and had little time to really get into it due to the pressures of my apprenticeship training and an intense social life which i guess involved a lot of drinking! O to be young again.
The next thing I knew people were raving about the new super computers( XT's and AT's ).
In no way can I ever call myself a "coder", however I know that I learnt a lot from those early days with the 64, and in many respects those lessons are still valid today.
I have no Idea, but I wonder if any of the younger folk learning to code today get any real exposure to the likes of Dos or even win 3. Would be sad if they didn't as industrially speaking there is so much equipment that still use these. Even relatively new stuff as these platforms are rock solid stable.
sirseand

Return to Introductions