Connecting Amiga 500

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Connecting Amiga 500

Postby Matt on Mon May 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Recently got a working amiga 500 for $15 at a second hand store in south dunedin. 1084s monitor, trapdoor ram, external floppy drive, 3 mice, workbench 1.3.2 disk, 2 blank disks.

Since beggars can't be choosers I've resolved to just have fun playing with whatever gear comes my way - so amiga it is.

What's the normal way to connect an a500 to the outside world? From what I've read so far seems like there is no way to write an amiga disk on a pc. I can physically connect the amiga to a pc using a cable I got at jaycar. It's a double headed thing: Each end has a female db25 witha female db9 hanging off the end. So far I've used it for a slip connection to get files on to an old toshiba laptop. Seems like it might be a possibility but I don't know what to do on the amiga end to make it happen.

Specifically I want to run minix:
http://home.arcor.de/kickstart/TKA/Tuto ... ingstarted

Keen for any tips,

Matt.
Matt

Re: Connecting Amiga 500

Postby David on Tue May 13, 2014 9:01 am

Hi you can use the amiga 500 to netnet out to the BBs's around the world. I do it here and other old computers to
you can use 64Doore i have it on amiga floppy and adf its a terminal program that will let you dial into a commodore
64 petscii bbs system with commodore graphics or you can use a 80 collumns ansi terminal program for it.
All you need is the telnet bbs server running in windows a nullmodem cable to the amiga. if you are closs to
taranaki i will show you how i dial out using my vintage computers from tandy deskmate to amiga and old dos good fun..

David B
David

Postby David on Tue May 13, 2014 9:05 am

and amiga explorer will be handy for you to transfer files to the amiga
David

Postby tezza on Tue May 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Matt on Wed May 14, 2014 9:58 am

Thx David, Terry. Explorer looks good for what I need. Right now my only windows is on a pc with no serial port but I can sort this without too much hassle and assuming my jaycar cable is correct for the job I'll be good to go.
Matt

Return to General