Hi, I'm Peter

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

Hi, I'm Peter

Postby petegeek on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi all,
My introduction to the vintage computer scene came very recently when I tried turning on my old Apple IIe for the first time in 20 odd years.
It sort of worked but filled the room with a foul smell, so off to Google to see what on earth was going on.
In the process of learning about dodgy power supply capacitors and how they can spew their innards all over the place (which mine had done) I discovered a whole new world of vintage computer enthusiasts.
I rigged up a temporary power supply for the Apple and it's working OK now. I've also got an Amiga 2000 and Mac Plus that need looking at too, so I've got plenty to keep me occupied.
It's been fun rediscovering these old computers and it's brought back plenty of good memories.
Cheers,
Peter
petegeek

Re: Hi, I'm Peter

Postby tezza on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Peter and welcome to the forums!

Yes, power supply filter capacitors blowing and filling the room with acrid smoke is a rite of passage for all vintage computer enthusiasts. I'll bet you'll find most people on this forum have experienced that! :D
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby RonTurner on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:40 pm

You need $5 worth of parts from electronic store.

Two a/c filters. When u open the psu u will see one with a hole blown in the side or top

Reach inside, ground yourself on psu case first.

Unplug keyboard and psu.

Turn computer upside down

Remove 8 screws holding base to case

Unscrew psu now, best u support it so it don't drop

Carefully turn over while holding together

Lift top off

Take small screw driver and open psu

Locate a/c filters, sometimes yellow

A/c caps don't have polarity

0.01uf & 0.47uf (can be different)

Replace those two and you can assemble

You can just take them our computer will still work, but no filtering of psu so u will have ram/Tom/CPU issues later.

Now I hope you didn't cut the psu wires, I got a feeling you already have, if so that will be hard to fix.

:-)
RonTurner

Postby RonTurner on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:54 pm

Its typical of such an apple to have non working keys, don't be fooled, just tap them and theystart working.
If that don't work, hold key down (pinch it with two fingers) and gently "scrub" it, for a more aggressive refresh of the contacts, don't use IPA in key switches.
RonTurner

Postby RonTurner on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:59 pm

If the A/C filters fail, the smoke will come out silently

But if a capacitor has failed it may have a frying egg on a fry pan sound with the smoke

My name is Gavin BTW, good to see another apple Guy here.
RonTurner

Postby petegeek on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:46 am

tezza wrote:Hi Peter and welcome to the forums!

Yes, power supply filter capacitors blowing and filling the room with acrid smoke is a rite of passage for all vintage computer enthusiasts. I'll bet you'll find most people on this forum have experienced that! :D

Cheers, thanks for the welcome, nice to be here
Peter has too many computers
petegeek

Postby petegeek on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:41 am

Cheers Gavin. Thanks for all your info.
I did sacrifice the power cables of my original power supply but I'm not sure I want to fix this one. There is quite a mess in there.
I have got another (non-working) Apple psu which is pretty clean inside so I'm thinking I'll have a go at recapping that one instead as per your instructions.

And yes, it was the A/C filters alright.
petegeek

Postby petegeek on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:58 am

RonTurner wrote:Its typical of such an apple to have non working keys, don't be fooled, just tap them and theystart working.
If that don't work, hold key down (pinch it with two fingers) and gently "scrub" it, for a more aggressive refresh of the contacts, don't use IPA in key switches.

I had the problem of the wrong characters being displayed on the screen as I typed.
After a few hours with a multi-meter I figured it must be the keyboard encoder chip that was faulty rather than the keyboard.
To my amazement, I was able to order a replacement part from ebay for about $9 (plus shipping, ouch!) and hey presto, all fixed!
petegeek

Postby RonTurner on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:50 pm

Still at the end of the day you have got it working , those ay-3600-pro can fail, I have had ROM chip failure also, interestingly I have never had a ram failure on a //e .
RonTurner

Return to Introductions