Transferring data between PC and Amiga 600HD

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Transferring data between PC and Amiga 600HD

Postby manuka on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:58 pm

So I've decided to start playing around with an Amiga 600HD and was wondering what the state of play was in regards to transferring files between a PC (Win7, Win98 or Linux) and the Amiga. There seem to be many options out there but was wondering what solutions people here were using?
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Re: Transferring data between PC and Amiga 600HD

Postby tezza on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm not sure about the 600, but have been using Amiga Explorer for my 500.
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blo ... -amiga.htm

In saying that my HxC Floppy disk drive emulator makes it even easier.
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blo ... 00-hxc.htm
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:39 pm

This is a discussion as old as time itself, so I use a solution as old as time itself: a filthy old serial cable, and a wee tool from Aminet called EasyTransfer. The Amiga-side app is small enough you can fit it on a 720K formatted PC floppy, once it's there it can establish a connection via serial and you're away. Run at 33600 or you'll have dramas unless you get a high speed serial port in the Amiga.

Alternately there's floppy drive emulators, hardware like the Catweasel to give the PC legitimate Amiga read/write capabilities (use this with WinUAE), CF cards via CF to PCMCIA adapters or full blown networking. Admittedly I've got a network card in my A1200 (want one cheap? Look for the 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA, part 3C589, all variants including combo cards work) and have Miami for TCP/IP, but haven't gotten to the point of actually configuring the Amiga for SMB... or finding out if the Amiga can actually do SMB :)

Any questions or want to shoot the breeze about dicking about on Amigas, hit me up. The 1200 is and remains my favourite all time classic, and is the centrepiece of my whole collection.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby manuka on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:48 pm

I ended up talking to a customer and Amiga geek a couple of days ago who was ordering some floppy emulators which use compact flash cards out of a guy in Canada, I'm sure someone here knows the piece of kit I am talking about. He kindly added an extra one to his order. This A600 is also a candidate for a retrobrite treatment so keen to see how that goes. Will keep this forum updated as to how I get on.

I am waiting for the look of utter distain on my kids faces when I show them how we used to game.
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Still get a serial cable in that case, gives you an excuse to get another Amiga and break out some linked Lotus 2 fun times ;)
Carcenomy

Postby garyc2014 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:45 am

There is a simple hack floating about the internet (I am trying to find it as I type this)

All you needed was an *OLD* PC (I used a Pentium 200 ish If I remember correctly) with a 3.5" drive and a parallel port

The beauty about this was it was so cheap !! and it worked 100% - I backed up all my Devpac Source and Object disks perfectly into ADF's

All you needed was TWO sewing needles and a short length of wire !! I kid you not..seriously

One pin was pushed into a certain pin in the parallel port and another into a pin (on the ribbon cable) of the floppy drive

Here is my post from the English Amiga board a few years ago..all the info is here

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63532
garyc2014

Postby Carcenomy on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:27 am

Nice sneaky trick you have there Gary :)

However from what I had time to read on EAB, it appears to be for Amiga to PC, not PC to Amiga?
Carcenomy

Postby garyc2014 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:49 am

Opps silly me !! you are quite correct !
garyc2014

Postby Swivel on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:15 pm

If your still looking at going from PC to Amiga (yeah it is my auction)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 79&ed=true

As you format the usb in fat32 you can put Amiga (ADF files) onto the usb via PC

Got it for my spare Amiga 500 and dropped the Amiga unit and now it's DOA. I don't need it for my other A500 as that has an external HD and my 1200 has internal HD

Just an Idea
Swivel

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 pm

That thing is pretty rad! Would be cool mounted in like, an external drive case so you can move it from Amiga to Amiga :)
Carcenomy

Postby Clym5 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:04 pm

With my A1200, I use a PCMCIA CF adapter. I'm pretty sure the 600 has a PCMCIA slot in it too. There's some driver trickery you need to do though, and the only way to get the drivers on the 600 would be to either:

1. Get a USB to IDE adapter, and mount the HDD from the Amiga in WinUAE so you can access it, and make a virtual folder on your PC to transfer files to the Amiga HDD. Workbench, CF drivers, etc.

2. Get someone (like me) to put the drivers on a floppy disk and send them down to you.

Though, Swivel's auction is really neat. That'd probably be the best bet.
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Return to Repair and Restoration