"Sound blaster sound card"

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

"Sound blaster sound card"

Postby xjas on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Yeah, I clicked this one hoping against all odds for a tested & working Awe64 Gold. I have no idea if it is or not, but I had to post the advert here because it's such a valuable insight into the human condition:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vint ... 735951.htm

Take a stock photo of a thoroughly undesirable SB X-Fi or some such, resize it to the size of a postage stamp. Apply liberal jpeg compression.
Take a completely random passage from the manual of an entirely different model of SB, that has utterly no relation to a product description. Cut it off in mid sentence.
Post in 'vintage'. Ask thirty dollars.

I have to stop spending so much time browsing Trademe. My desk is starting to get a dent where my head always hits.

*** Edit: You know what? I'm quoting it here in case the ad goes away.

SBEMIXER.EXE
Use SBEMIXER.EXE to change the volume levels of the MPU-401 instrument set used on the
SB Live! card. You can use SBEMIXER.EXE from the command line—useful for advanced
users who want to set up batch files with particular volume levels—or within the SBEMIXER
screen. The settings for SBEMIXER.EXE are independent of the Creative Mixer settings in
Windows 98 Second Edition.
To set SBEMIXER values in the command line:
At the DOS prompt, type the SBEMIXER command in a single line. Its syntax

^^ That is the *entire* text of the 'description'. I have no idea.
xjas

Re: "Sound blaster sound card"

Postby Clym5 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 pm

I wonder how they got 95%+ feedback with listings like that? I'll check the other auctions and see if they're all like that.

You gotta wonder how they expect people to trust them, or even know what they're buying!

EDIT: Just had a gander at their other auctions. In particular, a Genius sound card. Good picture, and a proper description with some parts that aren't C/P'd.
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Re: "Sound blaster sound card"

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Oh my word. That appears to be an X-Fi XtremeAudio. They were obnoxiously bad. Like, why would you even bother bad. 0/10. ;)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Return to Trade Me