Joe here

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

Joe here

Postby LilJoe on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi, I have been registered on the forums for about six months now but never posted or introduced myself, I guess I have just been sort of busy, until now.

Anyway, I have had a passion for computers since I first saw one being used, I was probably eight or so and it took off from there, when I was in primary school I used to help the schools IT teacher with odd jobs in exchange for computer lessons I stall remember telling my Dad over and over all the parts I had learned on the computer. I kept improving my skills thought myself java from you tube tutorials, and studied computers in my spare time. Although I have always found computers interesting I for an unknown reason have a passion for microcomputers, being a nineties kid I grew up with VCR players and dial up internet, I never learned basic, or experienced the many nostalgic memorys others have, maybe that's why I have always loved those early 8-bit micros, I wanted to experience what I missed out on.

About me: I'm 15 I have seven siblings, live in Auckland and am homeschooled. I have 0 yeah zero :( vintage computers although I have bidded on many vintage trademe auctions I often get outbidded and I also don't have the space, its emulators for me. I would one day love to build up a small collection

My favourite micros are Apple IIs, Osborne 1, BBC micro, I better add Commodore 64, 70s single board computersare also pretty cool.

Oh and I'm a huge linux, GNU and open source fan

Joe
Last edited by LilJoe on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF.
LilJoe

Re: Joe here

Postby Clym5 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi there Joe!

Nice to see another person close to my age here. I'm 16.

It sounds like we have many things in common with the introduction to computers, with the unknown attraction to vintage ones in particular!

I might have an Amiga 500 you could have, for the first in your collection. I can write software from the internet to floppy, so no need to be hunting for half dead floppies for it too.
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Postby LilJoe on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:23 pm

Clym5 wrote:I might have an Amiga 500 you could have, for the first in your collection. I can write software from the internet to floppy, so no need to be hunting for half dead floppies for it too.

Dude that would be so awesome, thanks
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
LilJoe

Postby kevman3d on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:04 pm

Hey Joe!

Its great to see people so young with an interest in vintage gear... Finding an attraction to old computers can be anything from wanting to experience what it was like, to admiration for the classic style and designs of the computers (you can recognise many just by the shape of their cases) to old farts like me just wanting to hold on to my childhood and relive my youth... :lol:

If you get a chance to go to Digital Nationz this weekend, go check out the retro display - its one pretty amazing collection of machines - and its a chance to really see some classics. I'm also going to be there to bore people by talking about how much harder it was to make games when they pretty much were still being invented back in the 80's.

Good luck in starting your collection. Keep your eye on the Trademe and Items Available forums here as often some of the guys here will spot something and post it up.

Kev. :D
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby LilJoe on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:07 am

Yeah, I've been thinking of going its sort of complicated as I leave for Rotorua on the Sunday morning :( , I might be able to find time among the packing up.
LilJoe

Return to Introductions