Here's an update... I've linked some of this post to a few photo's I've snapped as well...
I got the Zigg 16kb replacement unit (it arrived within 5-6 days of it shipping from the UK - nice and fast) so I could swap out the lower 16k. The other day I removed all the 8 chips. Today I installed 8 sockets
, and then clipped in the 16k module... Its a cute little thing
, and fits pretty snuggly into those sockets (though a little tightly and needing to be pressed fairly hard - but that's likely the new sockets)
Plugged in - powered up - ready to cheer... Nope. Same dark screen, no change... HOWEVER...
As I was doing this, I spotted a few of the small brown capacitors were shriveled and blistered (click here to see my piccy
). I suspect that it may be not actually "seeing" these in the beginning may have been the reason for the machine not working - There's a few spread around the PCB so I think it may be a case of replacing these and testing again. I was inspecting my lovely soldering job with the sockets and I spotted a dry joint on the speaker as well... So, a few more things to fiddle with... I just have to find out what capacitors I need (I'm pretty sure they look the same, but they're not going to BE the same.
When I get around to that next step, I'll post another update.
FYI - I've started to write up a guide to all these things I've been doing, things I've learnt and links to great resources. The plan is to post up a PDF for all other noob enthusiasts online who want something that doesn't inflict the same frustration scouring the net looking for information (since I've already done that part for them). I figure its a resource I wished I could have had before I started this...